Sunday, January 31, 2010

Panamanian Easter Egg Hunt


































So I know its not Easter and I know they're not eggs but I organized a project to entertain, protect, and hopefully educate a few of the kids in my town during there summer break.

There is no electricity in my site, therefore many people use batteries for radios and flashlights. after these batteries have been used the people simply throw them out the windows of their houses like the rest of their trash. Some end up in the trash piles others in the creeks that run throughout the town. What these people don't realize is that while these batteries are sitting in the water or in the forest they are contaminating everything around them. Including the water they bathe in.

So I designed a project in order to take all of the batteries out of the environment and place them within cement of a tower that a radio company is building right outside of my town. I told all of the kids that for every three batteries they brought me I would give them a piece of candy and the kid that brought me the most batteries would receive an entire bag of candy. The kids heard candy and got excited. The result from the contest were more than I imagined but after 8 dollars and 5 pounds of candy I successfully removed 1148 batteries from the environment and encased them in cement. The winning kid brought me 161 batteries.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Thats so cool. Good luck Myles, hope you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete