Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Burn Panama Burn

Changuinola is actually burning. There are photos and news footage of Ngobe Indians throwing maltov cocktails through the windows of banks. Yup that is right the Indians that I work with and are usually so docile have decided to go crazy. A few of them have died and they have also managed to kill a police officer. I thought that I lived in a country that was stable and I wouldn't have to worry about any national problems that would affect my service.

So here are the facts as I have collected them. The President of the country, Ricardo Martinelli is actually a huge idiot and has decided to pass a law that would have caused large problems in the U.S.. The law states that Unions are not allowed to collect dues and therefore weakens their ability to negotiate with the large companies of Panama (aka Chiquita Banana). The law also takes away citizens rights to protest while increasing the laws on police brutality. Citizens that fall victim to Police brutality are unable to file legal charges against them. This I believe is one of the reasons that things got out of hand so fast in Changuinola. People will protest when they are treated unfairly. The Indians have been pushed around for many years and the President finally pushed them past their breaking point.

As for what I have been doing while these dangerous protests have been going on. I am in what is called a Standfast. This means that I am not allowed to move from where I am until the situation calms down and it is safe for me to travel. I am stuck in David the second largest city because I was out to celebrate my one year with my group. Therefore I am an a hotel with Gretchen and several other volunteers who daily try and find new things to keep ourselves entertained. Well here goes day 7 of standfast, I am trying to enjoy it rather than get down.

No comments:

Post a Comment